Today I saw Eric Blair killing an elephant and even though I know the elephant had to be shot, because he had killed a man, I feel that there was something wrong about that.

Before Eric shot the elephant I could read in his face that for him, too it felt wrongly. But we both know and knew that it was his task as a representative of the British government to shoot the elephant and therefore proof our superiority.

As Eric finally shot the elephant it was a cruel act. It appeared that the elephant was much stronger than we suspected. When the first shot hit him he became immediately immensely old, you could see with your own eyes that the elephant suffered a very painful death. His breath became weaker and weaker every minute and he tried to stand with all the power left to him.

But the thing that frightened me more is how the natives, who had formed an immense crowd behind Eric, behaved before the he shot him. They just stood there and even pushed Eric to shoot the elephant. So I can just hope that Eric did not act on there behalf but on the behalf of the Empire.

God safe the queen.

Copyright © 2008 - Hölderlin Englisch 12 - is proudly powered by Blogger
Blogger Template